The Board of Directors is comprised of VEGA Member organization representatives.
VEGA Board of Directors
John D. Pompay
Chief Financial & Operating Officer, FSVC
John Pompay is the Chief Financial & Operating Officer and Assistant Treasurer of the Board for the Financial Services Volunteer Corps (FSVC). Mr. Pompay is also the President of the Pompay Group LLC, a consultancy that provides business solutions to those who engage it. Mr. Pompay holds a MBA from Columbia Business School and a BS degree in finance from Siena College. He is a graduate of the General Electric Financial Management Program and an alumnus of the General Electric Audit Staff and the General Electric Six Sigma Quality Team.
Ambassador (Retired) Thomas J. Miller
President and CEO, IESC
Tom Miller is currently the President/CEO of International Executive Service Corps, a non-profit that furnishes expertise to the developing world to train in best business practices. In 2009, Mr. Miller was President and CEO of the United Nations Association of the U.S. From 2005-08, he served as CEO of Plan International, a large nongovernmental organization that works in 66 countries to improve the lives of children in developing countries.
A 29-year career diplomat, Mr. Miller’s experience in the Foreign Service spanned many continents. From 2001-04, he served as U.S. ambassador to Greece, where he focused on the security concerns of the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens and domestic counter-terrorism. From 1999-2001, as U.S. Ambassador to Bosnia and Herzegovina, he worked on helping the country recover after a devastating war. From 1997-99, he was Special Coordinator for the Cyprus negotiations. He was also posted to Thailand as well as the State Department in Washington, where he focused on North Africa and the Middle East, including the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process and counter-terrorism issues.
A native of the Chicago area, Mr. Miller has a PhD in Political Science, two MA degrees and a BA, all from the University of Michigan.
Director of New Business Development, Land O’Lakes
Director Global Program Management, International City/County Management Association (ICMA)
David Grossman brought 30 years of technical and managerial experience in international development to his position when he became director of ICMA International in January 2008. In addition to his experience in municipal development, he has expertise in such areas as finance, credit, and urban infrastructure. He began his professional career with the New York City Planning Commission, helping tenants to organize and maintain their buildings. After a year with the United Nations Development Program, he served for six years as a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Foreign Service Officer, in Honduras and Costa Rica. From 1984 to 1994 he worked in the USAID Office of Housing and Urban Programs, including serving as its chief operating officer (COO). He later held COO positions with USAID’s Global Bureau Environment Center and USAID’s Office of Development Credit. Most recently he served as the senior advisor for research and development for the USAID Development Credit Authority. During his years at USAID, he received Honor Awards and other citations for outstanding performance. He has a bachelor’s degree in political science/Latin American studies from the State University of New York at Buffalo and a master’s degree in international affairs, with a specialization in economics and urban planning, from Columbia University, in New York City. He speaks English and Spanish. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Deal – President & CEO, Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA), ex officio
- Susan Fickling – Director, Participant Training Programs, Institute of International Education (IIE)
- Kuralai Kunz – Director of Enterprise and Community Development, PYXERA Global
- Carola Mandelbaum – Managing Director, Creative Learning, Inc.
- DeAnn McGrew – Director of Volunteer Technical Assistance, Winrock International
- Robyn McGuckin – Vice President for International Operations, Global Communities
- Alexander Moseson – Managing Director of Global Engineering Programs, Purdue University
- Gulbahar Okyuan – Business Development Manager, World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU)
- Nick Ramsing – Senior Project Manager, Private Sector Development-Agriculture, Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA)
- David Roche – Executive Director, Coffee Quality Institute (CQI)
- Paul Sippola – Vice President, Program Development, Cultivating New Frontiers in Agriculture (CNFA)
- Dan Waddle – Senior Vice President, NRECA International
Emeritus Members – Past Chairmen of the Board
Dr. Donald E. Hawkins
SAVE Travel Alliance, 2013-2015
CNFA, 2011 – 2013
CDC Development Solutions (now PYXERA Global), 2009 – 2011
International Executive Service Corps (IESC), 2007 – 2009
Winrock International, 2006 – 2007
Partners of the Americas, 2004 – 2006