Work with us!
Want to work with VEGA? We are often seeking to hire part-time paid interns and consultants and full-time fellows and staff to work in our home office in Washington, D.C.
VEGA is led by a tightly knit team of dedicated staff who are passionate about volunteering, economic growth and collaboration.
Apply for a full-time position
Intern with us
Part-time interns work with the Programs, Business Development, and Communications & Advocacy teams at VEGA on integrated projects for up to 20 hours per week. Our internships are hands-on and and a great way to get involved in the D.C. international development community.
Interns receive an hourly wage and 100 percent Metro transportation reimbursement. Most internships last 4-6 months and hours are flexible. Applications are considered on a rolling basis and you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. If you are interested in working with VEGA as an intern, please send a letter of inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no available intern positions currently.
Become a consultant for us
VEGA frequently hires fee-based and pro bono consultants to work with us on a part-time basis on adhoc projects. These project might include proposal development, research, or knowledge management. If you are interested in working with VEGA as a part-time consultant, please send a letter of inquiry to email@example.com.
Available Position Descriptions
Director of Business Development
Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) is a consortium of 28 volunteer-sending, nonprofit organizations that generate prosperity worldwide by creating partnerships that bring together volunteers with people seeking skills for self-reliance. Since 2004, VEGA has impacted the livelihoods and futures of over five million people with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other partners through 65 programs in 50 countries and more than 45,000 volunteer days.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Business Development (BD) is a key part of the senior management team and will be responsible for coordinating the implementation of a multi-million dollar capture strategy to meet changing donor demands, while capitalizing on the strength and experience of VEGA’s volunteer network. The Director of BD will lead collaboration with other key members of the VEGA team, including the Director of Corporate Engagement, members of the Communications and Advocacy and Program Management teams, and short-term BD consultants contributing to shared development goals.
The ideal candidate will be creative, flexible, and a self-starter looking for a new challenge to take VEGA into its next phase of business development. This position is an excellent opportunity for a business development professional looking to prove their capacity to operate and drive results at the management level. If you are a hands-on go-getter with keen marketing and sales skills, this position will help expand your networks across DC, in the field and with top global companies.
- Analyze existing VEGA opportunities, work, and relationships to develop and implement a short-term to medium strategy for acquiring new funding;
- Conduct proactive and targeted outreach to USAID/Washington offices and field missions;
- Prepare, coordinate, and develop new proposals with the support of VEGA-member NGOs to a variety of donor, philanthropic, and private funding sources;
- Market VEGA and its value proposition to potential new partner organizations, volunteer networks, and at conferences/events;
- Lead and implement all activities associated with qualifying opportunities, positioning, and capturing new business;
- Proactively manage the business pipeline;
- Coordinate outreach with VEGA Member NGOs;
- Work closely with the Director of Corporate Engagement to support partnership development opportunities with the private sector, donors, and local partners;
- Support the expansion of client base and identify/cultivate new sources of program funding;
- Coordinate closely with the Communications/Advocacy team to develop new marketing materials, website enhancements, and other means of positioning VEGA to grow the organization and increase its developmental impact;
- Manage information systems, tool development, opportunity tracking and pre-positioning, and training tied to new business development; and
- Hire, train, and manage interns and consultants to work on VEGA business development efforts.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Advanced or professional degree or equivalent experience in business, marketing, economic development or international affairs;
- 5+ years of experience in business development, capture management, and/or proposal writing for U.S. government solicitations;
- Demonstrated success in securing funding through written proposals and/or oral presentations;
- Strong presentation skills and a proven track record of developing and marketing ideas to different audiences;
- Experience and familiarity with USAID as a client and with its competitive landscape;
- Experience managing proposal processes that involve multiple internal and external stakeholders;
- Experience and demonstrated skill in oral and written communications, and organizational representation;
- Dynamic interpersonal skills and ability to interact with all levels of management;
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment and successfully execute many complex tasks simultaneously;
- Strategic thinker and adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing and following through;
- Team-focused, enjoys and is successful at working on teams and helping them produce at a high level;
- Demonstrates credibility, good judgment, honesty, integrity, trust and able to cultivate these qualities in others;
- Possesses a good sense of humor; and
- Ability and willingness to travel overseas up to 30% of the time.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with USAID Leader with Associate mechanisms and IDIQs;
- Familiarity with a broad range of economic growth, food security and global climate change programming;
- Overseas experience, preferably in a developing country;
- Experience as a volunteer or working with member-based organizations or alliances;
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume with “Director of Business Development” in the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates are encouraged to apply early as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Evaluation Committee Specialist
Start Date: Varies
VEGA seeks qualified individuals to serve on evaluation committees for VEGA member proposals submitted under VEGA’s Leader with Associate (LWA) agreement. Selected applicants will be placed on a roster and contacted when requests for application are submitted to VEGA. Evaluators will be offered an honorarium of $500. Each committee will be comprised of 3 evaluators, including a representative of the program funder. Please be aware that an opportunity may not arise for several months. VEGA will contact a short-list of candidates on a rolling basis to check on availability and answer questions about the process.
All members of the Evaluation Committee must:
- Sign a VEGA Proposal Evaluation Committee Non-Disclosure and Non-Bias Agreement.
- Adhere to the provided Guidelines for VEGA Proposal Evaluation Committee Members.
- Not be affiliated (a current/past employee, consultant, or volunteer) with VEGA Alliance Members.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree preferred;
- At least ten years of diverse experience in the field of economic development required;
- Prior work experience abroad required;
- Fluency in English required;
- Experience contributing to USAID proposals and/or program implementation preferred;
- Experience participating in a proposal evaluation team preferred;
- Familiarity with USAID preferred.
To apply, please send a resume to email@example.com with Evaluation Committee Specialist in the subject field. Please no phone calls. Thank you for your time and consideration in advance.