Work with us!
Want to work with VEGA? We are often seeking to hire part-time paid interns and consultants and full-time fellows and staff to work in our home office in Washington, D.C.
VEGA is led by a tightly knit team of dedicated staff who are passionate about volunteering, economic growth and collaboration.
Apply for a full-time position
There are no full-time positions available at this time. Please check back again!
Intern with us
Part-time interns work with the Programs, Business Development, and Communications & Advocacy teams at VEGA on integrated projects for up to 20 hours per week. Our internships are hands-on and and a great way to get involved in the D.C. international development community.
Interns receive an hourly wage and 100 percent Metro transportation reimbursement. Most internships last 4-6 months and hours are flexible. Applications are considered on a rolling basis and you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. If you are interested in working with VEGA as an intern, please send a letter of inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a consultant for us
VEGA frequently hires fee-based and pro bono consultants to work with us on a part-time basis on adhoc projects. These project might include proposal development, research, or knowledge management. If you are interested in working with VEGA as a part-time consultant, please send a letter of inquiry to email@example.com.
Available Position Descriptions
Business Development Intern
Location: Washington, DC
Start Date: July 2017
The Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA)—the world’s largest consortium of not-for-profit organizations that promote and drive economic growth and development utilizing the unique skills, knowledge, and experience of volunteer experts—seeks a part-time paid Business Development Intern to be based in Washington, DC. The Business Development Intern will be responsible for supporting VEGA’s business development activities through research, writing, editorial, coordination, and administrative support.
VEGA offers a unique opportunity to be exposed to the wide range of its 29 member organizations’ portfolios in economic growth. The position will enable the Intern to cultivate a network of career contacts through interaction with member organizations at meetings and special events. The Intern will gain firsthand experience with the United States Agency for International Development and will be exposed to a range of other donors, corporate partners and resource partners. VEGA will provide a dynamic, fast-paced environment where the Intern will serve as a contributing member of the VEGA team involved in all aspects of VEGA’s business development strategy.
The Business Development Intern Responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Business Development Team to implement a VEGA Business Development Strategy;
- Support the Business Development Team and collaborate with VEGA’s members to identify, track, and develop business opportunities with USAID headquarters and overseas missions, as well as with a range of other donors;
- Prepare and/or support proposals for VEGA to become registered on MOBIS, GSA Schedule, and other US government procurement instruments;
- Conduct research on potential public and corporate funding opportunities in support of new business development in various countries/regions/sectors of interest;
- Conduct research and data-mining on VEGA project impact;
- Contribute to the development of outreach materials, including brochures, web content, and member qualifications, as well as funding concepts and proposals;
- Support meeting coordination and implementation, and represent VEGA at networking events in the Washington, DC area upon request;
- Display initiative in marketing VEGA and its value proposition to potential new partner organizations (non-profit, corporate, and academic), volunteer networks, and donors;
- Assist with other tasks and special projects as needed.
The professional qualifications and personal qualities for the Business Development Intern are:
- Availability to work 10-20 hours per week in VEGA’s office, which is located one block from the White House and easily accessed by public transportation;
- Bachelor’s degree in international affairs, business, marketing, economic development, or related field (graduate work in these fields preferred);
- Experience with USAID and other US government-funded programs is preferred;
- Direct experience working in the international development non-profit sector is highly desired;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Ability to work under pressures and tight deadlines with accuracy, professionalism, and a sense of humor;
- Thrives in a highly interactive, team-oriented, multi-cultural, and multi-disciplinary environment;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Salesforce, and Gmail applications.
To apply for the internship, please submit a cover letter and resume with “Business Development Intern” in the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is July 7, 2017.
Compensation: $13/hour and partial public transportation subsidy
VEGA, based in Washington, D.C., was created by USAID as a procurement partner in 2004. The mandate of VEGA is to implement sustainable economic growth programs in developing countries in key areas such as private sector development, financial services, agribusiness development, and opportunities for rural and urban poor. VEGA is led by a small team of dedicated staff. Our strong member alliance allows us to compete with the big players in the international development scene. To learn more about VEGA, please visit www.vegaalliance.org.
Evaluation Committee Specialist
Start Date: Varies
VEGA seeks qualified individuals to serve on evaluation committees for VEGA member proposals submitted under VEGA’s Leader with Associate (LWA) agreement. Selected applicants will be placed on a roster and contacted when requests for application are submitted to VEGA. Evaluators will be offered an honorarium of $500. Each committee will be comprised of 3 evaluators, including a representative of the program funder. Please be aware that an opportunity may not arise for several months. VEGA will contact a short-list of candidates on a rolling basis to check on availability and answer questions about the process.
All members of the Evaluation Committee must:
- Sign a VEGA Proposal Evaluation Committee Non-Disclosure and Non-Bias Agreement.
- Adhere to the provided Guidelines for VEGA Proposal Evaluation Committee Members.
- Not be affiliated (a current/past employee, consultant, or volunteer) with VEGA Alliance Members.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree preferred;
- At least ten years of diverse experience in the field of economic development required;
- Prior work experience abroad required;
- Fluency in English required;
- Experience contributing to USAID proposals and/or program implementation preferred;
- Experience participating in a proposal evaluation team preferred;
- Familiarity with USAID preferred.
To apply, please send a resume to email@example.com with Evaluation Committee Specialist in the subject field. Please no phone calls. Thank you for your time and consideration in advance.